All nutrients are important during pregnancy and breastfeeding. The following provides additional information on some special nutrients important during pregnancy and breastfeeding, that are in Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold.
Folic acid – According to guidelines in Australia this product contains 500 micrograms of folic acid, as it is recommended that women of childbearing age take 400-500 μg of folic acid per day for at least one month before pregnancy and for the first 3 months of pregnancy.
Iodine – Requirement for iodine is increased during the whole pregnancy, especially the first 20 weeks.
Australian women are typically not receiving enough iodine. The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) recommends that pregnant and breast-feeding women take an iodine supplement containing 150 microgram daily.
Iron – Approximately one quarter of pregnant women report getting constipated when taking high doses of supplemental iron. That is why Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Gold contains a low-constipation, low-nausea, gentle on the tummy form of iron.
Omega-3 fatty acids – During pregnancy there can be an increased sensitivity to tastes, especially in the first trimester. Odourless fish oil means pregnant women can get the benefits of omega-3s without the fishy aftertaste.
Vitamin D – Vitamin D supports healthy foetal development. A review of nutrient intakes in pregnant Australian women suggested that dietary intakes were below recommended levels for vitamin D, while surveys of Australian neonates have shown approximately 40-57% of neonates have insufficient vitamin D levels
B group vitamins – Vitamins B2 and B12 support a healthy pregnancy by helping the body to use folic acid.
Active ingredients per capsule
Nicotinamide 9 mg
Ascorbic acid Ascorbic acid 30 mg
Calcium Calcium carbonate 125 mg
Iron Iron (II) glycinate 19.2 mg
Zinc Zinc oxide 6.8 mg
Magnesium Magnesium oxide – heavy 58.1 mg
Folic acid Folic acid 250 mcg
Chromium Chromium picolinate 121 mcg
Selenium Selenomethionine 81.3 mcg
Pantothenic acid Calcium pantothenate 2.7 mg
Pyridoxine Pyridoxine hydrochloride 1.2 mg
Thiamine Thiamine nitrate 700 mcg
Riboflavin Riboflavin 700 mcg
Cyanocobalamin Cyanocobalamin 1.3 mcg
Colecalciferol Colecalciferol 12.5 mcg
Vitamin E d-alpha-Tocopherol 3.5 mg
Iodine Potassium iodide 98.3 mcg
Biotin Biotin 15 mcg
Betacarotene Betacarotene 2.4 mg
Fish oil Concentrate Fish Oil 10/50 250 mg
Adults – Take 2 capsules, once a day, or as professionally prescribed. Take with food.
- Always read the label
- Follow the directions for use
- Supplements may only be of assistance if dietary intake is inadequate
- Contains fish, sulfites and soya bean products
- Do not exceed the stated dose of folic acid. If you have had a baby with a neural tube defect / spina bifida, seek medical advice
- This product contains selenium which is toxic in high doses. A daily dose of 150 microgram for adults of selenium from dietary supplements should not be exceeded
- If you have any pre-existing conditions, or are on any medications always talk to your health professional before use
- Some products should be ceased at least two weeks before any elective surgery, please confirm with your health professional